Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



sábado, mayo 28, 2011

What A Surprise! Oh My Goodness.


Back in December, I wrote about my favorite Argentinian cookie Frutigran:

I'm doomed. I brought only one package of Frutigran home from Buenos Aires. These are wonderful cookies. I love to eat them. The yellow package is best. In fact, I may be working on a major addiction to craving for them. And now, to my complete dread and horror, there is only one cookie left in the bottom of the package. Just one. And I have no idea where to find another of these wonderful galletas in the US. This to my now crazed mind is a huge disaster.

Of course, I asked for help. Of course I cross-posted. Everywhere. Of course, I emailed the manufacturer. I even logged on to sites that are for mules to carry things from BA to the US or the other way around. And then, this is the greatest, part in a thread of comments on dailyKos, someone who was living in BA responded to my urgent request for Frutigran. When the family was settled in, I could receive the cookies. Good news.

But the news faded. And time passed. No cookies. More obsessing, more emailing, most posting. No responses. A Porteno was headed to Miami in July, would that help? Yes, but that's a long way away. And then early this month there was an essay on dailyKos about El Galpin, the organic food market in Chacarita, a neighborhood in, you guessed it, BA, where I too had enjoyed shopping. The comments are evidence of my addiction and they are germane to this tale:

OT: but a good place to ask for this. (0+ / 0-)
I am still trying to get Frutigran (yellow package) cookies to the US. I will pay for shipping and the cookies and for the service of shipping to NY from BA. Takers? email me.

I've tried the mule web site, and called friends. So far, no good. Maybe from dKos?

by davidseth on Tue May 10, 2011 at 05:42:03 PM EDT

I have your Frutigrans! (0+ / 0-)
I've been waiting for my printer to be usable (ink arrives this week). The Embassy does have a post office but no easy way to buy postage... I have to use USPS.gov. You should have Frutigrans in the mail by next week!

I didn't forget you, really :) It just took forever for our stuff to arrive.

Join me at Military Community Members of DK

by angelajean on Tue May 10, 2011 at 08:36:10 PM EDT


Wow!!! Thanks!!!! n/t (0+ / 0-)
by davidseth on Wed May 11, 2011 at 08:03:57 AM EDT

This was indeed promising. In fact, it was perfect. It was incredible. It was exactly what I needed. But, this strikes me now as extremely strange, and I am hard pressed to explain it in a rational way, I then forgot about the fact that the Frutigran was coming. I forgot about it completely. Poof. Gone. Erased from my brain.

Today, covered in dirt from pulling weeds and excavating the garden, which is filled with rocks, I went to the post office. In the box nothing but bills. And an ad. What a waste of time to drive over there. I started the car to leave. The Postmistress raced into the parking lot with a box. Said she, "This came yesterday." "What is it?" I ask, as if she knows what it is. It's a Priority Mail Box. It has a customs declaration on it. It says one word, "Cookies." I think, that's really odd. I think, "Who could be sending me cookies?" Evidently, my brain does not have the circuit that allows the equation "Frutigran = cookies." I have "Frutigran = ecstacy" and "cookies = Oreos". Then, as I'm pulling out of the parking lot my brain finally performs the appropriate computation. I realize what it is.

OMG OMG OMG! Time for the happy dance. I open the box. And there, to my utter delight and joy, six (6), count them, six (6) yellow packages of Frutigran. Perfect. Wonderful. I am suffused with gratitude. I immediately sent a message with my thanks.


The timing is, of course, perfect. In about an hour I will watch Lionel Messi and Barcelona playing Manchester United in the UEFA Champions Cup Final. What better way to celebrate Argentina's gifts to the world.

Etiquetas: , , ,