Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



martes, febrero 01, 2011

Enough, I Say, Enough

This morning's maps from weather.com tell quite a story.



I don't remember another Winter like this one. Persistent snow. Dense snow cover. Extreme cold. And it's likely to continue. The local forecast this morning is quite something:

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am EST Thursday.

* Locations: Greene and Columbia counties... and the southern
Berkshires.

* Hazards: heavy snow... mixed with sleet.

* Accumulations: today... snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches with
another 2 to 4 inches expected late tonight. On Wednesday... snow
and sleet accumulations of 3 to 6 inches are expected with an
additional 1 to 2 inches Wednesday night. Total snowfall and
sleet accumulations of 10 to 20 inches.

* Timing: snow will be occasionally moderate to heavy through
today. Only occasional light snow is expected this evening with
the snow picking up in intensity after midnight. Snow and sleet
will come down heavy at times Wednesday especially during the
morning. A changeover back to all snow is expected before
tapering off Wednesday night.

...

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow...
sleet... and ice are expected or occurring. Strong winds are also
possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

At 10 am Tuesday, the roads are already slick and covered with snow. State Route 203, which runs in front of the house, has a single, plowed lane down its center. It has no traffic at all. Snow is mounting up quickly. Nobody who doesn't absolutely have to go out is going anywhere. From here the nearest there is Chatham, which as the snow piles up, seems to recede farther and farther into the distance.

I have logs for the fire. I have food. "I have my books and my poetry to protect me." I have instant Netflix. I have Roku. I just need NYSEG to keep the electricity on and Fairpoint to keep the Internet working. I can hold snowbound boredom at bay. I will dream of Bahia Soliman, Mexico, where it is 80 degrees and the water is turquoise.

Be safe. And warm. Wherever you are.

Etiquetas: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger BruceMcF said...

You've got Roku? Does the Crunchyroll anime app work for non-subscribing members?

4:07 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home