Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



domingo, mayo 10, 2009

Sliabh na Caillí



Sliabh na Caillí, or Loughcrew is in Co. Meath, Ireland. It is a sacred site with cairns dedicated to or occupied by the Crone, or the Hag, or Garavogue. It is far more than 4000 years old. There are, of course, many details. But the important part is the personal, the intuitive, the spiritual.

When I visited Sliabh na Caillí with an international band of Shamanic friends-- more about them in a later post-- I made an offering to the Crone in her cairn, and I asked her whether she had anything to tell me. And she did. I am to finish the draft of my novel in process before the end of the coming September. No excuses. No extensions of time. No dogs eating my homework. I take this seriously. I do not wish to run afoul of the Crone's wishes. I do not wish to incite her to anger. I do not wish to taste her wrath.

To make sure I wouldn't let the time slip by, to make sure that my vow to follow this message and to complete the task would be kept, I told my friends what the Crone had to say. They are my witnesses. And today, a couple weeks later, I am writing it down. Forgetfulness, unconsciousness, being busy, lack of mindfulness, other seeming necessities, all forms of practiced sloth, are not to deter me. Nor rain, nor gloom, nor dread of night, stops this courier from the prompt completion of his appointed rounds. And you, dear readers, are witnesses also.

The working title of my book is "Tulum," which is a Mayan town in Quintana Roo, Mexico. I won't tell you about the book, except to say that it is about the friendship of a US expat with a shady background and a Mayan curandero. There are 30,000 +/- words on my key drive as I write this.

And so, I have a task, a quest, an imramma, a journey to perform. I am honored to carry this out.

Etiquetas: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

No escape, we await your next book!

4:12 p.m.  
Blogger Cielle said...

Thanks for the memories as well as the informative links.

Looking forward to your novel.

love,
Cielle

6:42 p.m.  
Blogger Cielle said...

Thanks for the memories as well as the informative links. Look forward to you novel.

Love,
Cielle

6:43 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

My sense is that you are quite right not to mess with the Hag's wrath. As we are your sacred witnesses to this commitment, so too do we carry a responsibility to occasionally poke and prod. Of course, this will only be done with love and the intention of saving your ass from being handed to you by the Crone, lest you "forget" your promise to her...

11:40 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home