Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



domingo, marzo 22, 2009

Dreaming: Wild Strawberries


Ingmar Bergmann making Wild Strawberries

Ingmar Bergman's 1957 film, Wild Strawberries, has a remarkable, and iconic dream sequence:



I remember the first time I saw this film and my reaction to it. I just loved this. I found it amazing that both the clock and the watch had no hands, but the eyeglasses below the clock were what held my initial attention. Could I see that again? Was it an optician's shop? Another dream symbol? What was that? What did it mean. Could I just look at that again? After that, it was like a rich, filling, comforting meal: remarkable things to see, to think about, to wonder about. When the dreamer awoke, I thought, "What follows this could never be as profound, as engrossing, as wonderful, as complicated." How wrong.

Etiquetas: ,