Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



jueves, julio 20, 2006

The World's Greatest Blurb



Last night at 11 pm I was wandering the isles of Barnes and Noble. Don't ask about why. I discovered that Barnes and Noble has nothing, that's right, nothing in the novel section written by Alejo Carpentier. That's ridiculous. I will forgive them that they don't have my book, but Alejo Carpentier? For shame. For shame. Anyway, I did find a new paperback version of Julio Cortazar's Cronopios and Famas (Cortazar is on the left), and on the back was the world's greatest blurb, written by none other than Pablo Neruda (on the right). Here it is:

"Anyone who doesn't read Cortazar is doomed. Not to read him is a serious invisible disease which in time can have terrible consequences. Something similar to a man who has never tasted peaches. He would quietly become sadder... and, probably, little by little, he would lose his hair."

OK. Find me a single blurb that can carry this one's socks, and I'll post it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Claudia R said...

I better get on the stick, and into the bookstore and read these two guys. I am ashamed to say I don't know them. But this will be corrected shortly. Thanks for the humorous and informative (as always) heads up. Love the blog,
Claudia

7:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

I laughed so hard at the thought of Pablo Neruda saying that I just fell in love with him more.
Man o man ~how does one live life without these ideas that are alive within our souls, and quietly take them to islands and mountains of dreams?
I live life with them.
Thanks again.
Magdella la bella da mella

10:48 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home