Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



lunes, mayo 15, 2006

Borges and Buenos Aires


A wonderful article in yesterday's Sunday New York Times searches Buenos Aires for traces of our hero Borges. I know I could find his imprint there, just as I could find Neruda's in Temuco. And how wonderful to visit the windowless room where he produced "The Library of Babel"!

I remember reading this story years ago, when I was a freshman in college. I loved thinking about it. An infinite number of books all identical except for one punctuation mark. An infinite number of books no word of which made a sensible sentence bumping up against a book of absolute astounding brilliance from front to back that no one has yet written. I could go on. And no doubt will. But not here.

I'll settle for a trip to BA, where I can patiently look for the imprints and reread the stories.